A Fresh Start...

I love the idea of the new year. It means a completely new set of days to live the best we can, not the way we did last year. That's exciting! It may not mean anything "important" like a clean credit score, a fresh reputation, no more bills (although that would be stinking great!), or even a clean house but it is a fresh start.

So, as the new year dawns, have you made a resolution? Many of us do; saying we're going to get in shape, lose weight, get out of debt, spend more time with our kids, or hundreds of other things but we don't. Most resolutions fall off in the first month leaving only 20% of people making it 6 weeks or longer. Are you one of the 20% or are you the other 80% who gave up, quit, and didn't see it through (I really need to quit beating myself up...)? I've made it once, but that was because of three other guys. We ran together in the mornings. If one of us didn't show, the others would give them grief all day and surprise, they were there the next morning. I know, because I only missed 2 days in a year: mine were even both in the same month. When I missed, I heard about it the entire day: from my chemistry class all the way through to wrestling practice. "Hey, need some more sleep? Why don't you just skip practice and see how coach like it..." And several kajillion other statements were made because of my sleeping through my alarm. The other time I missed running I was actually sick, but the next morning I heard about it anyways. "Sleep through your alarm again? Skipping classes just to make it look better wasn't a good idea, Schaff." I know, it doesn't sound like much fun, but we kept each other accountable for showing up and actually running in the mornings. And it paid off, all four of us made it through to the state wrestling tournament and did better because we were in better shape than we would have been.

So, what change are you making and who is helping you keep it? Figure it out and get somebody on board with you, it makes your resolution a LOT more likely to stick...

Comments

  1. Hey Matt,

    I'm going to link you to our young adult blog group (which is a work in process...) want to return the favor and help us out?

    heres the site:

    http://fccsalina.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beyond the Pale (Part 1)

He Will Be Called: Mighty God (Part 1)

He Will Be Called: Wonderful Counselor