Safety Nets and the Thrill of Risking It All

So the title of this post might have you wondering what I'm going to be talking about, but it's something that springs out of the series we've been running through in Jr and Sr. High. As we look at the low expectations people have of teenagers versus God's expectations (and who He made each of you/them to be!), it's amazing how much it resonates with my students. So many of them have been assigned a lesser role (or had no role assigned to them at all!) because of their age and what most people "think" teenagers ought to be capable of. But, the thing is they can do so much more! However, that's not what we're looking at today...

Safety nets are an important part of life in many occupations. Trapeze artist for example, is a job where not having a safety net could mean death. I know working as a lineman and climbing telephone poles and such for a living, as much as I hated them sometimes, my safety harness and belt kept me from a lot of pretty crappy falling experiences and potential death! Some people see God as their "safety net" to catch them if they fall or view it more as a "fire insurance" kind of thing: they'd rather have that and be "safe" than not. The other day Kat and I were talking about life insurance and other "fun" adult things which got me thinking, "What does it mean to be safe?"

During the American Civil War, Stonewall Jackson was renowned for his courage on the battlefield. When asked about it, he replied: "My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave." Wow. Don't know about you, but that's some serious faith! Abraham had to have similar ideas when God said, "GO!" and he just got up and left his home, family, and everything he had known to wander where God might be leading him. David had faith of similar caliber, knowing that God was still with him as Saul (the king) chased him trying to kill him. In fact, David said:
The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
Psalm 18:2

What does that all mean? I mean, we sing songs that mirror this verse about Jesus being our strong tower, rock, etc. What do we really mean? Do we think that it means we can do anything and be "safe?" Or do we think like many missionaries that the gospel is worth dying for, so we will risk all to go into the jungle or desert? What is worth living and dying for? That is the fundamental question you have to ask. If we think our comfort is worth a lot, we stay behind never going off on mission trips or working here in town for worthwhile causes. Or if we think someone's opinion of us is more important than being who God made us to be, we change our appearance, behavior, and personality to make that person like us. But, if we think that God's design and desire for our life is most important, we can literally change the world.

I may begin to sound like a broken record, but God made you uniquely to do something amazing. In fact, He thinks so highly of you that He said you were irreplaceable (a body isn't whole without all of its parts!)! But, do you live from God's approval or are you looking for something else? Look back at the quote from General Jackson: "[I] feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave." His definition of safety was to be doing what God had for him at that moment knowing that his God had everything in his control!

Jesus had strong words about this:
Don’t be afraid of those who want to kill your body; they cannot touch your soul. Fear only God, who can destroy both soul and body in hell. What is the price of two sparrows—one copper coin? But not a single sparrow can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it. And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows.
Matthew 10.28-31

Now, this comes down to a question of trust: do we believe God is who He says He is and that he is able to do what He has said he would do? Do I trust God enough to jump out without a safety net or do I need things to be lined out perfectly before I even think about trying? God isn't looking for those who have the best plans, greatest abilities, or most stuff to get it done with, He's looking for those who trust Him to be God and will follow! Do you trust God enough to jump out on faith today?

When we say "believe" we miss a lot of the meaning, but can see some of it in the spelling. In the Greek, pisteuon (to believe), means "to live by." Now, here's the tough question today (as if I haven't asked enough already!): do you believe in God enough to live by, in, and through Him? If the answer is yes, do you really mean it? If you do, you know that there is no need for a safety net and that you can risk everything you have because God is more than willing to provide...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beyond the Pale (Part 1)

He Will Be Called: Mighty God (Part 1)

He Will Be Called: Wonderful Counselor