Questioning...

In our world there are tons of questions we are stuck dealing with. How did we get here? What's the point of me being here? Why did I just do that? But often, the toughest question we have to deal with is: why do bad things happen to good people? I mean, right now I'm in that line of questioning because of some things that are going on in our family. Why would God ever allow that to happen? Why wouldn't He answer the prayers of people who love Him? It just seems so unfair...

I feel that we, as American Christians, have bought into a couple lies that our parents probably told us were lies from day 1. The first, is that "life is fair." That concept actually comes from an eastern spirituality where good deeds are rewarded and bad deeds punished, thus creating a universal "karma" that is either negative or positive. While some might think the Bible supports this concept, it doesn't. In fact, it's from the Bible we see that life is not fair, but just. "He [God] gives His sunlight to both the evil and the good, and He sends rain on the just and the unjust alike. If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that?" Jesus said that in the context of loving our enemies and praying for those who persecute us, but it applies when we talk about life not being fair. If life were fair, Asaph would also have had no reason to complain in the Psalms:

I envied the proud when I saw them prosper despite their wickedness. They seem to live such painless lives; their bodies are so healthy and strong. They don’t have troubles like other people; they’re not plagued with problems like everyone else. They wear pride like a jeweled necklace and clothe themselves with cruelty. These fat cats have everything their hearts could ever wish for! They scoff and speak only evil; in their pride they seek to crush others. They boast against the very heavens, and their words strut throughout the earth. And so the people are dismayed and confused, drinking in all their words. “What does God know?” they ask. “Does the Most High even know what’s happening?” Look at these wicked people—enjoying a life of ease while their riches multiply. Did I keep my heart pure for nothing? Did I keep myself innocent for no reason? I get nothing but trouble all day long; every morning brings me pain.
Psalm 73.3-14 (NLT)

Seriously, we look at the people who live as if there were no God and we envy them. We envy their "freedom," we envy their "fun," we envy their wealth and prosperity. But, the more apt question is: where does all of that take them? I don't mean as in a hellfire and damnation kind of way, but even now, where does all of their wealth, prosperity, fun, and freedom take them? Mostly into depression, unsatisfied living, addictions, and tons of other nasty places. In all honesty, we ignore that to see the part we wish we had. I won't lie, I'd happily take several million dollars, a huge house, lots of great cars, and all the stuff I've ever wanted. But that would never serve to bring me the happiness that living below the poverty level as a youth pastor (and I know, a "youth pastor" doesn't need to specify that they live below the poverty level it's included in the definition) with my 5 kids does. But, where's the fairness? Where's the justice in that? I do work that has lasting benefits (as in eternal) and make a difference in tons of lives that wouldn't see it otherwise but don't get paid jack (most teachers would say the same!). How is it that if I went back to either of my wiring/electrical jobs I would make massively more than I do now? Simple: life isn't about being fair! If it were, would Paul have had to go through shipwrecks, snake bites, beatings, jail time, and everything else to preach the gospel? Heck no! But, mention that to some who believe that God is their vending machine and it is thrown out as unimportant. Our God is just and He looks out for His own. Sometimes, that means conquering their nation and sending them into exile, other times it means making them wander in the desert for 40 years, while other times it means sacrificing His own son for our lives. Personally, I'll take any crap that comes with it for the latter!

So, I haven't really answered any question here or addressed the issue fully. But, I hope you've picked up something to carry with you regardless: hope. Life isn't easy, simple, or always fun but we were promised one thing: He is with us. Let that hope guide you through the darkest valleys of your soul, the saddest hours of your heart, and the most painful moments this life has to throw at you: our God is Emmanuel, God with us...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beyond the Pale (Part 1)

He Will Be Called: Mighty God (Part 1)

He Will Be Called: Wonderful Counselor